So now you are sitting in your house looking out at your fountain and you want to turn it on. Sure, you could go out and plug the pump in, but for around $55.00 you can install a wireless switch which you can control from your iPhone, iPad, Windows, or Android device. Belkin makes a wireless switch called “Belkin WeMo Insight Switch”.
You will need to have a router in your home that supports WiFi. The App to control the switch is a free download and Windows, iOS (Apple) and Android devices can be used. You follow the simple instructions that come with the WeMo switch to have it link to your router. You then give the switch a name (wine fountain) or (study fountain) and then within the App you can see your device. And why stop at controlling one wine fountain? There are WeMo switches for turning on lights and ones that sense motion in the room and turn on lights. Within the App you can set up schedules to have your device turn on and off a particular times of the day. This is a growing trend in home automation, using WiFi as the controlling signal. One caveat here is that currently Belkin does not make a weather proof switch so you will need to protect the switch if it is outside.
- Turn electronics on or off — from anywhere
- Monitor your electronics’ usage/cost and receive custom notifications • Put your electronic devices on a schedule or have them respond to Sunset and Sunrise
- Works on multiple smart devices simultaneously
- You’ve already got everything you need: WeMo works with your existing home Wi-Fi network and mobile Internet (3G/4G)
- Modular system. You can add additional WeMo Insight Switches easily, any time
- Intuitive, easy set up and easy to use
- Works with the entire family of Belkin WeMo products
- Works with IFTTT, connecting you to a whole world of Web apps
- Free WeMo App for Android and iOS operating systems
- One-year limited warranty
Here's a video about it.
You can see our devices on this picture below under Domi. We have a tankless hot water heater, so it makes sense to use a Belkin switch to turn on the hot water when we need it, instead of the water circulating constantly.
Download the free apps for your own devices.
I just click the little circle, if I want the Study fountain on. While at my desk, I can control whatever I choose.
Stay tuned in July for Amazon Echo, another cool techy device that will allow you to control your Wemo switches through voice command.
I have another tablescape coming up shortly.